springtime we love to cook for our friends! Having dinner parties is so much fun. Play a 90's movie and make everyone dress up in clothes that match the movie. Then stay up late and sleep in a big bed in the living room
here are some good recipes from Martha Stuart...
SPICY AVOCADO PITAS
Use green Tabasco sauce, which is made with jalapenos. It has a kick like red Tabasco, but doesn't taste quite as vinegary.
Per serving: 353 calories; 9 g protein; 17 g fat; 48 g carbs; 13 g fiber.
Prep: 20 Minutes
Total: 20 Minutes
* 1 ripe avocado
* 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
* 1/2 to 1 teaspoon green Tabasco sauce
* 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
* 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt and pepper
* 1/2 cup yellow grape tomatoes, halved
* 1 small cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
* 1 large or 2 small radishes, halved and thinly sliced
* 2 whole-wheat pitas (6 inches each), top third cut off
1. Halve and pit avocado. With a spoon, scoop out avocado flesh, cut into chunks, and transfer to a medium bowl. Add orange juice, Tabasco sauce, and coriander; season with salt and pepper. Mix gently to combine.
2. Add tomatoes, cucumber, and radish. Combine, and divide mixture between 2 pitas. Serve immediately.
CHICKEN LETTUCE WRAPS
Serves 8 (makes 24 pieces)
* 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* Coarse salt and ground pepper
* 1 medium carrot, cut into matchsticks
* 1/2 green mango, peeled and cut into matchsticks
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for grill grates
* 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
* 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
* 3 thin chicken cutlets (about 3 ounces each)
* 24 small leaves Bibb lettuce, from about 3 heads (3 ounces each)
* 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1. In a medium bowl, stir vinegar, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt until sugar is dissolved. Add carrot and mango; toss to combine. Let stand at room temperature, tossing occasionally, at least 30 minutes, or refrigerate up to a day.
2. Heat grill or grill pan to high; lightly oil grates. In a shallow dish, combine lime juice, ginger, and oil; season with salt and pepper. Add chicken and let marinate for no more than 5 minutes. Grill chicken until browned and opaque throughout, 1 to 3 minutes per side; transfer to a plate to cool.
3. Thinly slice chicken; toss with carrot mixture. Divide mixture among lettuce leaves; drizzle with juice from carrots and sprinkle with cilantro.
If you can’t locate a green (unripe) mango, pick a firm one. To store, refrigerate carrot and mango mixture, grilled chicken (unsliced), and cleaned lettuce leaves, separately, up to a day.
* 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
* 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for buns
* 2 large onions (about 1 3/4 pounds), sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 2 teaspoons fresh fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
* 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
* 1 medium shallot, peeled and finely minced
* 2 scallions, white parts only, minced
* 1 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
* 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
* 4 whole-grain or white hamburger buns
* Sliced tomato, for garnish
* Lettuce, for garnish
1. To make the caramelized onions, heat butter and 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions, cover, and cook until they begin to soften, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and raise heat slightly. Cook, uncovered, until onions are golden brown, stirring occasionally, 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in thyme, and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, combine turkey, shallot, scallions, Tabasco, Worcestershire, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl; mix very lightly to combine.
3. Heat a grill or grill pan to medium high. Form four equal patties, and cook them through, about 7 minutes per side on the grill, or 8 minutes on the grill pan.
4. To toast the buns, brush the cut sides lightly with olive oil, and toast, cut side down, on the grill, until lightly golden, 20 to 30 seconds. Top burgers with the caramelized onions, and garnish with slices of tomato and lettuce leaves. Serve.